Slav Petrov is a Principal Scientist / Research Director leading a globally distributed team that conducts natural language understanding and machine learning research. His work has been recognized with multiple Best Paper Awards (ACL'11, NAACL'12, ACL'16) and provides better language understanding to billions of users in a variety of Google products spanning Web Search, Assistant, Ads, Translate & Chrome. Slav is the recipient of the 2014 John Atanasoff Award by the President of Bulgaria and a World Champion at RoboCup 2004. For many years, Slav taught Statistical Natural Language Processing at New York University. He holds a PhD from the University of California at Berkeley. Slav has spent roughly equal parts of his life in Bulgaria, Germany and the US. Whenever Bulgaria plays Germany in soccer, he supports Bulgaria.
Some awards I have received:
- Outstanding Paper Award at ACL 2016
- Meta-Net Seal of Recognition 2016
- John Atanasoff Award by the President of Bulgaria 2014
- Google Citizenship Award 2013
- Best Paper Award at NAACL 2012
- Best Paper Award at ACL 2011
- World Champion at RoboCup 2004
See also my personal webpage
for more information (including presentation slides).