At India Research Lab, our mission is to contribute towards fundamental advances in computer science and apply our research to tackle big problems and deliver impact for India, Google, and the communities around the world.
About the team
Our impact and goals for the next 5 years are aligned along three dimensions:
Advance the state of the art for every problem that we pursue.
- Build models of human cognition and cognition-inspired AI algorithms.
- Understand limitations of deep learning systems, improve their safety and robustness and address issues including calibration, fairness and explainability of ML solutions.
- Combine computer vision based methods with personalised knowledge graphs to better understand images.
- Pursue basic research in HCI, to ensure that our technologies touching end users are informed by an evolved understanding of human factors.
Demonstrate positive societal impact through our research in areas such as health, ecology and wildlife conservation.
- Transform healthcare using ML: Our researchers have developed deep learning based solutions for more effective screening of diabetic retinopathy, which are being deployed at hospitals in India.
- AI for Social Good program to address issues like public health, education and wildlife conservation, in partnership with NGOs and academic researchers, while making fundamental advances to the underlying scientific areas like multi-agent systems, ML and HCI.
- Develop additional novel solutions focussed on the prevention and wellness for major diseases like CVD and diabetes; improve health outcomes at lower costs and solve for the acute shortage of doctors in countries like India.
Make significant improvements to Google products to make them more helpful to our users.
- Advance the state of the art and apply ML in areas like natural language understanding (NLU) and user understanding to address the unique challenges in the Indian context (e.g. code mixing in Search, diversity of languages, dialects and accents in Assistant) .
- Enhance overall capabilities (e.g. ability of the Assistant to handle conversations requiring a combination of knowledge, reasoning and personalization), do better user modeling and to improve fraud detection in GPay.
Team focus summaries
The next billion users present a unique set of challenges to the search advertising business. We aim to solve the research challenges around NBU ads first and extend these solutions broadly to the FBU market as well.
- Aravindan Raghuveer, Research Scientist (Team Lead)
- Rishi Saket, Research Scientist
- Abhirut Gupta, Software Engineer
- Sahana Ramnath, Pre-doctoral Researcher
Cognitive Modeling and Machine Learning (CogML)
The CogML group aims to build expressive, robust machine learning systems, drawing functional and algorithmic inspiration from human cognition. We are also working to develop a deeper understanding of human cognition, with applications in ML systems design, user modeling, and personalisation.
- Pradeep Shenoy, Research Scientist (Team Lead)
- Kushal Chauhan, Pre-doctoral Researcher
- Rishubh Singh, Pre-doctoral Researcher
- Balaraman Ravindran, Visiting Researcher
Earth Observation Science (EOS)
The Earth Observation Science group's mission is to use Machine Learning and Earth Observation imagery to solve Geoscience research questions, motivated by applications in climate adaptation and social impact.
Create a mobile platform (mHealth) to collect vital healthcare data in novel ways and use them to predict medical conditions and subsequently suggest behavioural changes as preventive measures.
- Narayan Hegde, Software Engineer (Team Lead)
- Sriram Lakshminarasimha, Software Engineer
- Dushyantsinh Jadeja, Program Manager
- Deepak Nathani, Pre-doctoral Researcher
Human-Computer Interaction (HCI)
We conduct research at the intersection of HCI, AI, and human development. Our goal is to foster a cutting-edge HCI research agenda to shift AI from power in algorithms to power in people, especially marginalised communities.
- Nithya Sambasivan, Researcher (Team Lead)
- Ding Wang, Researcher
Machine Learning and Optimization
We are working on designing robust and rigorous machine learning algorithms.
- Prateek Jain, Research Scientist (Team Lead)
Mixed-Mode User Understanding (M2U2)
M2U2 group is working on fundamental research problems in computer vision and machine learning. In addition, it collaborates with product teams on various problems like user modeling, improving reliability of transactions, recommendation and improving user delight.
Announcement for the recipients of Google India AI/ML Awards 2020.
Announcing the launch of Google Research India - an AI Lab focused on advancing fundamental computer science and AI research, and applying it to tackle big problems in the field of healthcare, agriculture and education.
Highlights of successes and challenges on some of the projects under AI for Social Good.
Some of our locations
Some of our people
Join our team
As a Research Scientist, you'll actively contribute to the wider research community by sharing and publishing your findings, with ideas inspired by internal projects as well as from collaborations with research programs at partner universities and technical institutes all over the world.The research lab in Bangalore is a part of Google’s global network of researchers: participating in conferences, publishing research in scientific papers, and collaborating closely with one another.